Consular registration at the Consulate General

Information on your consular registration at the Consulate General.

Consular registration of a newborn

Information on the registration of a Belgian child born abroad of a parent born in Belgium.
  1. Last updated on

1. Documents

The forms below are available on the FPS Foreign Affairs website

Documents required to register with the Consulate:

Attention, except the copies of travel and/or identity documents, all the requested documents must comply with the conditions described in point 2.

  • registration form in name of the child, signed by both parents;
  • true certified copy of the birth certificate of the childa birth certificate in Hebrew needs to be translated/ a Hebrew-English version can be accepted without translation.

    Please make sure that:
    • the name and first name of each parent appear on this document (for the mother, at least her father’s name must appear under “surname of mother’s father”);
    • Attention to the spelling of the names of the child on the birth certificate as it will be automatically copied in the Belgian documents for the child. It is therefore very important not to make a mistake in the spelling of the names (translation).
  • copy of the passports and identity card of the parents of the child;
  • copy of the Israeli identity card or residence permit in Israel of the parents, with updated address (sefah or tenancy agreement, recent water/electricity bill,..);
  • if possible, a copy of the passport and/or identity card of the child;
  • If the parents are not married: please contact first the Consulate by email.

Additional documents may be requested.

2. Requirements which the requested documents must meet

Documents must be:

  1. original: no photocopy; the birth certificate must be issued by the administration that registered the birth (Misrad Hapnim);
  2. recent: the documents cannot be older than 6 months when provided to the Consulate;
  3. legalized and translated (see explanation below).

Legalization and translation of official Israeli documents

  1. The legalization procedure of an Israeli document is done by obtaining an apostille stamp at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Jerusalem (9 Yitzhak Rabin Blvd; Kiryat Ben-Gurion; Jerusalem 9195022; tel: +972.2.5303176; e-mail:; website:
  2. Documents need to be translated into one of our national languages (French, Dutch, German). Documents that were issued in English can generally be accepted without a translation (check with the Consulate)
  3. Translations need to be legalized as well, NOT by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but by the Ministry of Justice (Bet Mishpat HaShalom- + 972.

Legalization and translation of official documents from other countries

Documents that were not issued in Israel, must be legalised in the country/region where they were issued. You can verify which procedure is required (depending on the country and the type of document) on the website of the Belgian Foreign Affairs